For those of you who know me well, you'll know that I absolutely love running. Why because at the end of every run I feel like I have really accomplished something. It also helps me to control my stress levels. I have used running as a way to cope when life has seemed out of control plus running gives me a place where I can think, plan and problem solve. One of my favourite things with running is that you can do it anywhere, I always head out for a run if I am on holidays and it is a great way to sight see plus meet the locals.
So you've tried to run before but it's been hard and not enjoyable. So many ladies try running but go out too fast and find themselves out of breath and legs on fire. So they just feel running is too hard and not for them.
Well here is a beginner plan where you can start out super slow and build up gradually. This way you can gradually go from walking to running and actually enjoy it.
Follow the schedule below and you will be well on your way to being able to jog continuously for 30 minutes by the end of 8 weeks.
· Week 1: 30 minutes of 30 seconds of running, 2 minutes walking
· Week 2: 30 minutes of 1 minutes running, 2 minutes walking
· Week 3: 30 minutes of 2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking
· Week 4: 30 minutes of 3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking
· Week 5: 30 minutes of 4 minutes running, 2 minutes walking
· Week 6: 30 minutes of 5 minutes running, 2 minute walking
· Week 7: 30 minutes of 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking
· Week 8: 30 minutes of 5 minutes running, 30 seconds walking
Before you start this program make sure that you have a good quality pair of trainers that are suitable for jogging. I highly recommend getting your shoes professionally fitted. Visit your podiatrist if you are not sure of the best shoe for your needs.
If you haven't been exercising or have any medical conditions or injuries please have a chat with your health care practitioner before starting.
I hope that you enjoy getting out there and giving this program a try. I'd love to hear how you go.
P.S. If you find it a little lonely jogging by yourself we have a running group that is perfect for beginners. To find out more give me a call on 0409 135 359